Architectural Interests: Wellington's Brick Streets
Wellington citizens voted on June 19, 1922 (175- For, 12- Against) to enact the paving law which would allow property owners abutting the street to be assessed one-third of the cost to pave streets. The first 10,000 brick were ordered from the Mangum Press Brick Company at a cost of $165.00. The City contracted with the Panhandle Construction Company to furnish the materials and labor to pave certain streets. Work started in October to pave around the square and in the December 8, 1922 issue of the Wellington Leader it was reported that work had been finished on the northeast corner of the courthouse square, giving citizens an idea of how it would look. Work was completed in 1923 on the brick paving. Property owners were assessed their portion of the cost in 1923.
Minutes of the City of Wellington Vol. 2:pg. 54
Louis Graham, Museum Staff